What is Human Trafficking?
The U.N. defines Human Trafficking as “the recruitment, transportation, transfer, harboring or receipt of persons, by means of the threat or use of force or other forms of coercion, of abduction, of fraud, of deception, of the abuse of power or of a position of vulnerability or of the giving or receiving of payments or benefits to achieve the consent of a person having control over another person, for the purpose of exploitation. Exploitation shall include, at a minimum, the exploitation of the prostitution of others or other forms of sexual exploitation, forced labour or services, slavery or practices similar to slavery, servitude or the removal of organs.
Human Trafficking In The United States
UNICEF has estimated that there are 1.5 victims for every 1,000 people in developed countries including the United States. With the current population being over 310,000,000 that would mean there are around 470,000 victims in the United States.
Based on this information we have created 5 estimates of the number of Human Trafficking victims in each county.
Human Trafficking In Livingston County
|Estimate #||Estimate Name||Victims In This County|
|1||Simple Distribution Model||274|
|2||Urban Weighted Model||186|
|3||Simple Crime Based Model By State||322|
|4||Urban Selectively Weighted Crime Based Model By State||235|
|5||Urban Weighted Crime Based Model By State||219|
Estimated Range: 186 to 322 victims of Human Trafficking in Livingston County.
Average Estimate: 274 victims of Human Trafficking in Livingston County.
What You Can Do About It
If you or someone you know may be a victim of trafficking (i.e. Forced sex or labor), you can get help from the National Human Trafficking REsource Center hotline at 888-373-7888.
You can also reach the by text at BeFree (233733) or report a tip online at PolarisProject.org
We can all do something to end Human Trafficking in our area.
- Estimated Trafficking Victims Per 1,000 Population was accessed in July 2014 from UNICEF.
- 2012 Population Data was accessed in March 2014 from the National Bureau of Economic Research County Estimates.
- County Land Area Data was accessed in June 2014 from the Census.gov 2005-2009 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates
- 2012 urban and Rural County Designations were accessed in June 2014 from the FBI 2012 Violent Crimes Report Table 5.
- The Human Trafficking definition is from the Unites Nations Office on Drugs and Crime
Copyright and Sharing
These estimates are an original work of USCountyPopulation.com
Please share this with others to help raise awareness and put an end to human trafficking in the United States.